OUR SUPPORTED TESTS
All year, Chevy Chase Prep offers individual and small group tutoring sessions for popular paper- and internet-based standardized admissions tests. These are the:
- ISEE and SSAT for students entering grades 6-12 at independent schools
- HSPT for students entering several parochial high schools
- PSAT and PACT for students planning to take the SAT and ACT
- SAT and ACT for applicants to U.S. colleges and universities; SAT for applicants to Johns Hopkins University’s Center for Talented Youth (CTY) Talent Search
- TOEFL for non-native users of English applying to U.S. colleges and universities
- GRE General Test for applicants to U.S. graduate and business schools, and to some law schools
- GMAT for applicants to some U.S. graduate management programs
- PRAXIS Core Academic Skills for applicants to teacher education programs
OUR TEST PREP APPROACH
When tutoring for more common tests, we discuss differences between the ISEE and SSAT to offer informed options in light of students’ preparation and strengths. We usually advise high school juniors to take the SAT and ACT once, allowing time re-take their better test. At all levels, we pre-test to baseline performance, coach regularly to practice test-taking strategies and control of content, and post-test to assess sustainable mastery of strategies and material. Chevy Chase Prep’s exclusive packages include tutoring on the writing sections of both tests with an expert in rhetoric and composition.
THE REAL NO-TEST OPTION
In addition, we recognize that promising students march to very different beats. Weaker test takers who meet GPA and class-rank criteria may thrive at test-optional colleges and universities that deemphasize SAT/ACT scores in admissions. In the past few years, we have availed this option to place students in small liberal arts colleges featured in Colleges That Change Lives.